Sunday, April 15, 2012

{Tutorial} Spring Wreath

A month ago I had the *Unbelievable* pleasure of guest-posting over at U-Create and sharing my
Robin's Egg Wreath.

{Here is the post from U-Create}

I'm Jenilyn from Grits & Giggles and I am absolutely beyond thrilled to be here at U-Create today as a creative guest! I have been a reader for a long time, and have LOVED participating in the Create With Me series that Kari puts together each month. My blog is full of  Tutorials for sewing and crafting, sewing Patterns, and Mommy meanderings.

I'm just a little embarrased to say that I have just this week taken down my Christmas Wreath. It was time....because it's March. It was time for a new wreath. I wanted something that screamed SPRING without lots of flowers...and with no PINK. I don't do pink if I can help it.


Robin's egg blue and chocolate brown are one of my favorite color combinations, so I thought "Why not put it on the front door to welcome Springtime?"


Here's how you can make one too!!

Materials:
1 round foam wreath
24 medium sized plastic eggs (easter section of ANY store)
20 small plastic eggs (From Hobby Lobby)
Spray Paint in your favorite color
Accent paint color
hot glue
ribon
tulle

Let's get started!

To begin, lay out all of your eggs and make sure they are snapped together properly.


My small eggs were colorful, and my large ones were white.


Spray paint your eggs in a well-ventilated area, preferably outside. Allow one side to dry then turn them over and spray again.


I gave mine about 3 coats until they were shiny. I left some of the colored eggs a little thinner though, because I liked a little bit of their original color "peeking" through.


Once they're dry, use your accent paint to draw designs on some of the eggs. You can use a paintbrush, or squeeze paint right out of a bottle.

I drew lines on some, dots on some, and left the rest plain.


Before glueing your eggs, tie a length of tulle or ribbon to your wreath for hanging. It will be hard to get it around the eggs later!


Begin hot glueing your large eggs around the inside of your wreath. Turn them different directions for variation.


Add a second row around the outside of that one, filling in holes where you can. Once your large eggs are glued on, begin using your smaller eggs to fill little holes where you can see the styrofoam wreath.


To camoflauge the styrofoam further, I added some little tulle puffs on the inside of the wreath. Just place a dot of hot glue on the inside and stick your tulle to it, then continue around the wreath creating puffs.


Add some ribbon to your tulle bow and hang it on your front door.
You're ready for SPRING!


*Happy Crafting*



Thank you so much Kari for having me here today.
I hope ya'll will come by and visit Grits & Giggles and say HI!


I hope you had a chance to see it at U-Create!
*Happy Crafting*

2 comments:

  1. This wreath is soo cute! I'm a huge fan of teal:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! It's so pretty with the blue! Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...